Biopsy and Brush Cytology of Oral Lesions
Removal of tissue from living beings for macroscopic examination, microscopic Analysis, bacterial analysis & combination of above are called “BIOPSY”.
Indications for Biopsy
- Any lesion that persists for more than 2 weeks with no apparent cause
- Any inflammatory lesion that does not respond to local treatment after 10-14 days (after removing local irritant)
- Persistent hyperkeratotic changes in surface tissues
- Any persistent tumescence, either visible or palpable beneath relatively normal tissue
- Inflammatory changes of unknown cause that persist for long periods
- Lesions that interfere with local function (e.g. fibroma)
- Bone lesions not specifically identified by clinical and radiographic findings
- Any lesion that has the characteristics of malignancy
- Any tissue expelled from the body orifice
- Research purpose and to know the progress of lesions.